Find out why enhancing your higher cognitive processes are not just for spiritual exploration, but your everyday life. These skills help you to avoid and overcome common roadblocks.
Critical Thinking Skills for Everyday Life
The field of spiritual exploration might seem like an odd place for the study of analytical processes. However, these vital reasoning tools are essential in this field. Practicing and enhancing these skills expand our awareness and increase our problem-solving ability. This will help us avoid many of the common roadblocks on our daily spiritual journey.
“Your life experience can only be as deep as your awareness.” — Bryant McGill
Critical Thinking Definition
You can define critical thinking as a step by step method of gathering, analyzing, validating and evaluating data. The focus is on the use of sound evidence, and logic for making decisions. So, critical thinking skills are the mental strategies that use a range of cognitive tools to promote rational thought. They improve your overall ability to determine the fact from fiction. They help you sort out what is valid from the illegitimate.
If the above definition sounds a bit like science, you’d be right. That’s because the tools of critical thinking are at the basis of the scientific approach. But, it’s not just for scientists. It comes in handy and day to day life. And, it’s available to everyone who can use common sense.
What’s more, the study of critical thinking skills promotes clarity of thought and problem-solving ability. So, critical thinking skills are a way of enhancing the health of your mind. Furthermore, this is the type of thinking what brings us all of the advances and achievements of the modern world. That means critical thinking is good for you and the world.
The Components of Critical Thinking Skills
Logical reasoning is at the core of all critical thinking skills. So, learning and studying these skills will help you apply the others more easily. We think they are essential today more than ever. That’s because they will help you spot errors and fallacies in many areas. They help you discern fact from fiction and metaphor from mythology. You’ll find them handy in both your practical and spiritual life.
We’ve put together a suite of tools. Some think of them as short online books on critical thinking. These tools include Logical Reasoning, Spotting Logical Fallacy and The logical Axioms. These tools will enhance critical thinking enabling you to decern fact from fiction. Mark these articles in your favorites so you can return to them on a regular basis to refresh your skills.
Comparative Analysis is another valuable analytical tool. This is a systematic approach to research based on the scientific model. It’s a method that compares ideas and beliefs from different worldviews. And, yes. It definitely is a critical thinking skill that can change your whole outlook on life.
This process introduces the challenge of comparing their beliefs to other worldviews. Here we also learn why is it so important to use emotional checks. It helps to research with the least amount of bias and prejudice.
Above all, the use of logical reasoning and comparative analysis will sharpen your ability to discern fact from fiction. So, these aren’t just for research. You’ll find a use for these tools every day. Besides their use with religion, politics the are also helpful with TV and Radio newscasts.
Learn About Yourself
We all have different life stories. And so, everyone starts their spiritual journey in a different place. Similarly, there isn’t one path that fits everyone. However, we do think you should start with learning about yourself. There are several tools that will help you in this aspect of self-discovery.
One tool we like for self-discovery is The Enneagram of Personality. This tool uses a questionnaire to show you the default setting of your Ego. Your Ego includes the elements of your personality and instincts. In addition to our Ego, we also have the programming of the cultural narrative. Together these mechanisms make up our worldview or paradigm. This is the filter through which we experience and value everything.
Finding out about these default scripts, values, and programming will give you the power to change them. It will prove to you that we are not our Ego. It’s just a necessary tool for awareness and consciousness. This is a good starting place for your spiritual journey.
In the final analysis, our perception isn’t just about the physical world. It’s also a reflection of our thoughts, emotions, and dreams. Learning about who and what you are is key to your spiritual development. Above all, trust your intuition and common sense to lead you to the right teachers and sources. Seek out those who can teach you about the spiritual technologies for expanding awareness and exploring consciousness.
What are Spiritual Technologies?
Spiritual technologies are ancient tools for exploring consciousness. They are the result of eons of research by cultures around the world. Moreover, these processes stand up to the test of science, being repeatable and measurable. So, anyone who can follow a process can use them. We call the practice of these processes Spiritual Exploration.
There many ways to list these tools. We like this simple method. Keep in mind some tools could easily be in more than one group:
- First, tools to enhance critical thinking. This study of basic Logical reasoning along with spotting logical fallacies and logical axioms. Then we also use comparative analysis. This is a step by step way of comparing beliefs between different worldviews. Above all, these tools will help sharpen your ability to discern fact from fiction.
- Second, The Enneagram of Personality. This is mostly an analytical tool. It provides insight into the mechanisms of Ego, personality, and instinct.
- Third, seated meditation is the heart of spiritual practice. This includes a range from Beginning Meditation and Mindfulness Meditation through Japa Meditation and more advanced Siddhis of Patanjali.
- Fourth, moving meditation helps us strengthen the mind-body connection. It is also an important key to our health and wellness. This progression includes several methods of energy collection, like Forest Bathing, Qigong, and Tai Chi.
- The fifth category is an eclectic mix of pathways for expanding and exploring awareness. This progression includes a range of processes from lucid dreaming, the Shamanic Journey and Guided Meditation to third-eye awakening and soul memory awareness.
- Sixth, and last but not least are the healing practices. This branch includes healing modalities, such as Pe Jet, Reiki, and Shiatsu. Self-care is also a part of this group and is vital to our overall health and wellness.
Critical Thinking skills are useful in many aspects of life. Studying them is good for our mental health, and so also for the world. They help us to spot the fallacies that plague much of the rhetoric of religion and politics. Some other excellent books to enhance your critical thinking include the following:
- Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus 471st ed. Edition by Ludwig Wittgenstein
- The Undiscovered Self: The Dilemma of the Individual in Modern Society by Carl Jung
- The Basic Writings of Nietzsche (Modern Library Classics)
- If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him! The Pilgrimage of Psychotherapy Patients by Sheldon B. Kopp
- The Holographic Universe: The Revolutionary Theory of Reality by Michael Talbot (Author)
- E=Einstein, His life, His thought and Influence on Culture by Donald Goldsmith and Marcia Bartusiak
- Models For Critical Thinking: A Fundamental Guide to Effective Decision Making, Deep Analysis, Intelligent Reasoning, and Independent Thinking by Albert Rutherford