Why would you want to expand your awareness? Because awareness controls perception. To gain greater perception, we must increase awareness. So, here’s one of the best mind hacks to increase awareness.
Mind hacks are formulas or mental shortcuts that produce results. The world needs people with greater awareness.
Awareness is a precious commodity. It’s the measure of our wakefulness and the bandwidth of perception. You progress to higher ranges of awareness by practicing techniques that expand awareness, not by following a religion. — Guru Tua
Mind Hack For Expanding Awareness
Our mind is like the wilderness. So, we need to tend to our awareness in the same we do the environment. If we pollute or damage the environment, plants won’t grow. Animals cannot use it. If they do, then they become sick and die. Cleaning up pollution takes more effort than keeping it free of toxic materials. But once it is polluted, we need to clean it up if we want to use it safely.
Awareness is the conduit that governs our capacity for perception. It affects our ability to think and reason. So, expanding awareness is vital to our overall health and wellness. A narrow mindset is susceptible to the power of groupthink manipulation and suggestion. It becomes easy to program distorted thinking, values, and beliefs.
Our dominant cultural narratives are polluted. They contain damaging racial, ethnic, and religious bias and prejudice. It promotes greed and the justification for hate. The three most popular religions spread this pollution. These are the Abrahamic religions of Christianity, Islam, and Judaism.
The Abrahamic religions have membership over 4 billion people. And like toxins in the wilderness, when we do nothing about it, the damage gets worse. To stop it’s spreading, we need to increase the bandwidth of awareness. Otherwise, people will remain narrow-minded.
People talk about being awake. Some people awaken a little at a time. Others awaken in great leaps and bounds. The measure of wakefulness is the degree to which we are awake. We can determine the degree to which we are awake by how we perceive ourselves and the world.
All perception takes place in the mind. We have input from both internal and external sources. Some internal measures of wakefulness are present in the degree to which we are in touch with intuition, our creative impulse, and our wisdom. Our ability to perceive is in direct proportion to awareness. This includes our ability to sense external energies of people and places, and our situational awareness.
Our measure of wakefulness depends greatly on the clarity of our thinking. When our thinking is based on greed, bias, and prejudice, we cannot think or reason more clearly. Our conscience goes to sleep.
Awareness is Our Reality
Our awareness is what determines our reality. Everything we experience happens within our awareness. What we perceive reflects our awareness. Awareness is on a continuum, this is the bandwidth of perception. On one end is someone asleep, they are controlled by the dominant cultural narrative and live out their lives in service to it. On the other end of the continuum are those we call enlightened.
Awareness expands or contracts depending on the clarity of your mind. Our awareness can expand so that we can perceive more. For example, when most people dream, they do not realize they are dreaming. But people who learn lucid dreaming perceive that they are dreaming. Their perception expands and includes the act of dreaming and their ability to see and control the dream. This is why awareness is such a precious commodity. Expanding our perception increases our measure of wakefulness.
How Culture Affects Awareness
Back to our analogy of the wilderness and the mind. Nature cannot recover if we keep polluting the environment. The same with the mind and our awareness. The pollution of an unhealthy culture distorts the bandwidth of perception and awareness. And, this harmful mindset cannot be fixed if we keep polluting it.
A worldview is unhealthy if it uses groupthink manipulation tactics to install bias and prejudice. This is “mind” pollution. Almost everyone is subject to massive amounts of this negative cultural programming under the guise of religion. It keeps us from expanding our range of perception.
Many people do not have the choice of what they believe. Our family and culture often indoctrinate children and those who are vulnerable. But each of us has the responsibility to fix this programming if it contains bias and prejudice.
Mind Hack Determining Wakefulness
The cultural narrative plays a huge role in supporting unhealthy thinking and values. It can contribute to our growth and expansion of awareness, or it can cause us to regress. You can tell where you are on the continuum of awareness by asking yourself some questions.
- Does the belief structure promote or cause you fear or anger?
- Do you feel you need to defend your beliefs about spiritual reality?
- Do your beliefs contain elements harmful to you, others, or the environment? Does it contain justification for harming or discriminating against others?
- If your belief system has a hierarchy, does this promote more value or human rights for certain classes, ethnicities, or genders? In short, does it value some people more than others?
- Do your beliefs place boundaries on what you can think, what you value, what you can do? If so, are these boundaries applicable to everyone, or are some exempt?
- If there are boundaries are they around what you can believe about physical or spiritual reality?
- Are there boundaries for what is an acceptable spiritual practice? Are you permitted to create your path of spiritual exploration?
An affirmative answer to any of these questions means you are subject to structures harmful to the health of your awareness. You have two choices.
Vital Choices Are The Next Steps
You have two choices.
1) Ignore your conscience. Ignore the evidence that exposes the truth about the cultural narrative and go back to sleep.
2) the second choice is to push back. Use this mind hack to expand your awareness as your situation allows.
If you desire to be more awake good for you! Be prudent. Many cultures are oppressive and restrictive. Working on the expansion of awareness may need to be a private endeavor. Sadly, there are societies where it is not safe to be a freethinker. Oppressive cultures exist around the globe. People think that the West is a bastion of freedom and tolerance for people of all backgrounds. Perhaps this was the case long ago. However, even in North America, one needs to be cautious and prudent.
Promote the Expansion of Awareness
Here are some practical things you can do if you want to increase the bandwidth of perception by expanding awareness.
- Eliminate or at least minimize your contact with the major mainstream news media. If you are a news junkie switch to independent sources.
- Eliminate your exposure to voluntary social and cultural programming. This is important, but it’s hard to do since it’s this comes under the guise of religion. Specifically, Western Organized Religion. These are the Semitic religions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. If you can’t disengage the counteract the social programming by doing independent sources. Study and learn how to use logical reasoning. This is imperative. Otherwise, the longer you are subject to this social conditioning, the harder it is to reason objectively.
- Find other truth-seekers. If you can research together. This is an excellent way to improve results. If the culture you are in is oppressive. You create your path, but that doesn’t mean you have to walk it alone.
- Be careful not to share your new awareness and knowledge with those who would use it to persecute or ostracize.
Expanding awareness is a mind hack that anyone can use. All it takes is a little time and attention. Ask yourself the hard questions. Then decide if you are willing to make the necessary changes in your thinking.
We can increase our ability to perceive if we nurture it correctly. Practice any form of seated or moving meditation that expands awareness. If we want to see ourselves and the world more clearly, we need to increase the bandwidth of perception.
Interested in spiritual exploration? Check out the blended learning process at the core of our teaching process. It reflects what Joseph Campbell called the Hero’s Journey. Our learning options include both face-to-face and virtual learning sessions. Please consider donating and supporting our mission. This helps others learn the knowledge for developing their path.
Joseph Campbell & Joseph Campbell’s book The Hero’s Journey, Wikipedia
Abrahamic Religions, Wikipedia