In order to awaken, one must realize that one is in a state of sleep, a state of self hypnosis. — George Ivanovich Gurdjieff
And, in order to realize that one is indeed in a state of sleep, one must fully recognize and understand the nature of the forces, which operate to keep one in the state of sleep, or hypnosis. It is absurd to think that this can be done by seeking information from the very source which you induce the hypnosis.
— George Ivanovich Gurdjieff
Irrational Belief Requires Self Hypnosis
What is irrational thinking? Is it thinking which lacks common sense and sound reasoning. It results in poor judgment. Irrational beliefs are those that have no proof or basis in logic and reason. I need faith to substantiate their beliefs because they are irrational and baseless. Faith and belief are the tools of hypnosis.
For this system to work, you need to indoctrinate and then reprogram regularly. This is the essence of groupthink manipulation. You create a system of self hypnosis to establish mythology as fact. Fear is the best motivator. So, you capitalized on our greatest existential fear, the fear of death.
The groupthink manipulation tactics are the bedrock of Western organized religion. These are the religions of Semitic origin including Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. These religions are the rebranding of Egyptian, Babylonian, Persian, and Assyrian mystery religions. The Semitic religions could not exist without using self hypnosis to overcome common sense reasoning.
The Hypnotic Power of Faith and Belief
An irrational belief is a powerful tool. It creates a platform for selling any values or ideology. It does not need to have a factual basis. Once you establish mythology as a fact, then you can add anything to it. This is how it becomes a political tool.
Now you create an elaborate system of contradictory philosophies. This creates a need for an authority to interpret confusing messages. Next, you open up outlets to propagate and disseminate this religion. You use your army to take over any existing religions and rebrand their locations as your own. All the while you are selling faith in the afterlife. There are rewards for believers and eternal punishment for those who do not fall in line.
Eternal suffering awaits anyone who questions God’s, infinite love. ― Bill Hicks
The only way to support this illogical and morally corrupt position is with the hypnotic power of irrational belief.
Using the Ego to Reinforce Groupthink
The Ego floods the mind with thoughts. It does this to maintain control of our awareness. The ego likes to be in control. It’s like the car a being in control of the driver. But, we become so familiar living in this state we don’t even notice. This is the state of hypnosis. We are asleep. We don’t know we are the driver.
So, religion uses this natural tendency to keep the mind busy with faith and belief. These counteract our common sense. This way we don’t question the circular logic and contradictions. This shows the hypnotic power of religious indoctrination.
The Abrahamic religions adopted groupthink manipulation social programming techniques from their predecessors. The Abrahamic religions are Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. These are a rebranding of Egyptian, Babylonian, Persian, and Assyrian mystery religions. Here they found these powerful self hypnosis techniques. This is also where we find the concepts of the afterlife, hell, demons. These concepts tie into our basic fears. They use these fears to control their acolytes.
Breaking the Hypnotic Power of Religion
To move beyond this state of “hypnosis” we must do two things. First, silence the idle chatter of the Ego. And counter the programming of groupthink manipulation. Neither of these tasks is easy.
This goal is realistic if we invest in some inner work. There are two tools we recommend for this quest. First, the Enneagram of Personality Profile, Second, Comparative Analysis. These are two analytical tools that help you uncover the thought scripts, bias, and prejudice of your thinking.
This process is best with others on the same mission of discovery. We also suggest you use both of the above tools in a group of 2 to 5 people. Make sure they are there to seek the truth and not simply to find reasons to hang onto their current beliefs.
Gurdjieff’s Strategy to Cancel Irrational Belief
Researching Gurdjieff’s work, we found some interesting things. He was a researcher of consciousness. His approach was eclectic. Eventually, he started his own system by combining several approaches. He sought ways to reach counteract the effects of self hypnosis created by religion. Instead of challenging their belief system, he used a more efficient tactic. Planted seeds using the subconscious mind to illuminate their inner truths. This forces the person to see their irrational beliefs.
We think this an excellent strategy for achieving this goal. And, it mirrors practices and processes found around the globe in other ancient traditions. His process involves a progressive practice using the following elements.
- First, he developed a form of the Enneagram personality profile. Thus, enabling the student to identify the thought processes fixating the mind. And consequently causing a perpetual state of self-hypnosis. So, you realize you are asleep. Now you can awaken.
- He uses a series of complex movements. These are “sacred dances” requiring a high level of focus. Because they require full attention, it effectively suspends the chatter of the Ego.
- Next, they teach students a form of silent meditation using a mantra. Again, the goal here is to free the mind of all conscious and subconscious thoughts. That is reaching the 4th state of consciousness directly.
- Then, he alternated the sacred dance with periods of silent meditation for lengthy periods. This is a “round” of silence and activity. The Observer can take more control of the objective presence in the mind. The Ego becomes a passenger instead of the driver.
- Last, the student needs to normalize and become comfortable in these new spaces. We are not accustomed to being in control. So, the mind needs time to adjust to the new freedom. Normalizing occurs overtime after the student engages in the regular practice of these elements.
- After normalizing is complete, one can achieve a separate state of consciousness known as “Witnessing”. In this state one simultaneously holds the state of transcendent Being, while in a waking state of consciousness. Here people report the experience of “oneness” with all things. Here the driver is in control of the car instead of the car being in control of the driver.
We do not exist between our ears. Our consciousness is unlimited by space or time. We can develop our awareness and access to higher states of consciousness.
Faith and belief are enemies of progress. Not just individual progress, but the progress of society. But the fight against the hypnosis of the cultural narrative has some powerful weapons, facts, evidence, science, and logic. Are they enough to overcome generations of groupthink manipulation tactics?
Interested in spiritual exploration? Check out the blended learning process at the core of our teaching process. It reflects what Joseph Campbell called the Hero’s Journey. Our learning options include both face-to-face and virtual learning sessions. Please consider donating and supporting our mission. This helps others learn the knowledge for developing their path.
Joseph Campbell & Joseph Campbell’s book The Hero’s Journey, Wikipedia
George Ivanovich Gurdjieff, Wikipedia