The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the thinker. The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. ― Eckhart Tolle
The Real You — Observing the Thinker
Yes, that is right. The “Real You” is the observer of the Ego. Our mind is much more than the thinking apparatus between our ears. The real you is the person you talk to inside your head. It’s the Observer who experiences your dreams. This is the thinker that Eckhart Tolle is referring to.
The Observer is beyond the mechanisms of personality and instinct. Most people identify with their personality and instinct as “being them.” But this isn’t the case. Personality and instinct are the default mechanisms our consciousness uses to connect with our bodies.
Learning to watch the thinker is the beginning of freedom. Otherwise, you confine yourself to the box of the Ego.
Some people are born with the ability to “witness” from a separate state of consciousness. In ancient cultures, these people were the Seers, the Shaman, and Healers. Today, they are labeled as undesirable and considered mentally ill. Not so long ago, we burned them as Witches.
Sadly, we have lost much great knowledge and insight. All because we either misunderstood or feared them. The fear comes from our friends who run the dominant cultural narrative.
Those in control of most of the programming of the cultural narrative are religions of Semitic origin, Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. They have over 4 billion members and control half the world’s population. They fear those who are gifted because they direct knowledge of non-ordinary reality. Whereas, these religions are stories of other gifted individuals who went beyond organized religion. Observing the thinker is a doorway organized religion is afraid of.
The lack of knowledge holds us back. There are well-proven methods for expanding awareness and understanding of Ego. There are a number of spiritual technologies for exploring other levels of consciousness. The fact is, we don’t even acknowledge non-ordinary reality although we have proof come to us every night. Our dreams are proof of non-ordinary reality. Think about it.
The Beginning of Freedom
Observation is a skill, which you can enhance. You can expand awareness. To observe, you must first be able to recognize the machinery of your Ego. If you can observe the “thinker” then you can move awareness towards the realization of cosmic consciousness. Otherwise, you are stuck in the thinking mechanism of personality and ego.
This means you can eventually be free. No matter what your circumstances. How is this possible? It requires moving beyond Ego. This enables you to move beyond circumstances. The Enneagram Personality Profile system is one of the best spiritual technologies for learning about the mechanisms of personality and instinct. This is just one of the basic technologies we use in our own blended learning process.
Consciousness Development Tools
Everyone has their own way of awakening. And, each of us has spiritual gifts to aid in this quest. These gifts are sleeping in our DNA. So, waking these gifts is the key. It sets our spiritual walk into motion. It opens our minds to new potentials.
Accessing these gifts was the central goal of many ancient cultures. And so, we benefit from generations of research. The results are a set of powerful tools anyone can use. We call these tools spiritual technologies. These are sound methods for expanding awareness and exploring consciousness.
Above all, these tools stand up to the test of science. They are repeatable experiential phenomena. And, higher states of awareness also have unique measurable physiological signatures. They differ from the basic states of consciousness (waking, sleeping, and dreaming). These processes do not require belief in a religion. All you need to do is follow the process. For the most part, these tools come from Eastern traditions. This is probably because their focus is on developing human potential and not mythology.
Other schools of thought have a similar eclectic approach. For example, Gurdjieff’s approach was to adopt what is already proven to be effective. After all, human physiology hasn’t changed in thousands of years. So, the work of the ancient pioneers stands the test of time.
Spiritual technologies are tools for exploring consciousness. They result from generations of research by cultures around the world. These processes stand up to the test of science. They are repeatable and measurable. They do not require belief in religious doctrine. So, everyone who can follow a process can use them. We call the practice of these processes spiritual exploration.
You can list these tools in several ways. Some fall into more than one group. We like this simple method.
- Tools to enhance critical thinking. This study of basic logical reasoning along with spotting logical fallacies and logical axioms. Then we also use comparative analysis. This is a step-by-step way of comparing beliefs between different worldviews. Above all, these tools will help sharpen your ability to discern fact from fiction.
- The Enneagram Personality Profile. This is mostly an analytical tool. It provides insight into the mechanisms of ego, personality, and instinct.
- Seated meditation is often the heart of your spiritual practice. This includes a range from Beginning Meditation and Mindfulness Meditation through Japa Meditation and more advanced Siddhis of Patanjali. Japa is the tool that opens the doorway to the level of consciousness where observing the thinker becomes a reality.
- Moving meditation helps us strengthen the mind-body connection. It is also an important key to our health and wellness. This progression includes several methods of energy collection, such as Forest Bathing, Qigong, and Tai Chi.
- Pathways for expanding and exploring awareness. This progression includes a range of processes from lucid dreaming, the Shamanic Journey and Guided Meditation to third-eye awakening and soul memory awareness. Practical tools to guide your path, a spiritual journal, and automatic writing.
- Healing practices are the final group. This branch includes Pe Jet, Reiki, and Shiatsu. Self-care is also a part of this group and is vital to our overall health and wellness.
The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not your personality. You are that which is observing the thinker. When doing this, you move to a higher level of consciousness.
Interested in spiritual exploration? Check out the blended learning process at the core of our teaching process. It reflects what Joseph Campbell called the Hero’s Journey. Our learning options include both face-to-face and virtual learning sessions. Please consider donating and supporting our mission. This helps others learn the knowledge for developing their own path.
Joseph Campbell & Joseph Campbell’s book The Hero’s Journey, Wikipedia